So it hit me this morning that Easter is only three weeks away and I have nothing Spring or Easter-ish up around the house.
In some ways, this is nothing new. I gave up trying to lighten up years ago after I realized that all of my pastel decor violently clashed with my new overly red upstairs.
But this morning I decided that I don’t care.
The snow every-other-day thing is getting me down and I need some color in my house. Plus, I figure there’s got to be ways to make “light” play nice with all the dark colors in my house.
So in true THRIVE style, I riffled around the house to see what I could find for inspiration and came up with Easter candy. Lots and lots of Easter candy.
So I broke open those adorable PEEP bunny packages and sorted the jelly beans and wound up with Easter specimen art cute enough to eat.
And the best part was that this project came together in under ten minutes.
Want to make your own?
I really wanted to make these with shadow boxes like all the other cute specimen art floating around blogland. But I didn’t have any, so I cheated and Rocked What I Got.
I grabbed three frames from my living room …
… popped out the glass and cut white poster board to fit the frames.
To make the PEEPS display, I cut each bunny in half using an old pair of scissors.
Using a knife, even with non-stick cooking spray is a nightmare. Please don’t ask me how I know this.
Arrange the bunnies how you’d like and then gently, but firmly press to the poster board. The marshmallow is plenty sticky to hold those bad boys in place without any extra glue.
Measuring is also a good thing. I eyeballed it and was a little off. Oh well.
Just to be safe, I let my PEEP art sit for an hour to make sure it was good and attached before popping it back in the frame and hanging.
And as for the little blue bunny on the bottom row, I couldn’t resist. :)
And as for all of those unused bunny halves …
… my kids created their own lovely hybrid PEEPS to munch on for
lunch snack. Thoughtful ones my kids are.
The jelly bean art came together just as easily.
I tried cutting them in half to see if they’d stick to the poster board on their own as well, but it’s a pain to carefully cut through each one without fracturing the outer shell. No biggie. They’re small enough anyway that it worked out fine to use them whole.
A generous dollop of Gorilla glue …
… done and done.
Just to be safe, I let these sit for an hour as well since I didn’t know how well the glue would adhere to the candy coating.
Worked like a charm.
Houston, we have Easter Art.
Ah, much better.
The house is already feeling more Spring-ish which is good since we’ve got more snow on the way. Lovely.
Linking up to:Pin It Now!